Absentee Voting

Absentee Ballots

If you are unable to get to the polls on election day, you can request an absentee ballot or stop at City Hall prior to the election to vote absentee. The last day to vote absentee in person is the Friday prior to the election. The ballots are generally at City Hall a couple weeks prior to the election.

If you are not already registered, you will need to register to vote before an absentee ballot can be sent to you.

An absent elector is any otherwise qualified elector who for any reason is unable or unwilling to appear at the polling place in his or her ward. Any otherwise qualified elector who changes residence within this state by moving to a different ward or municipality later than 28 days prior to an election may vote an absentee ballot in the ward or municipality where he or she was qualified to vote before moving.


Absentee ballot applications are accepted until the Thursday prior to the election at 5 p.m. by mail, fax or email. Residents may vote absentee at City Hall until the Friday prior to the election at 5 p.m. Any requests for ballots to be mailed should allow enough time for mail transit. Staff can not allow a ballot to leave the building unless it is being mailed.


Any qualified absentee elector may make written application to the municipal clerk for an official ballot by one of the following methods:

  1. In person at the office of the City Clerk.
  2. Online via My Vote Wisconsin at http://myvote.wi.gov/
  3. By mail, email or fax to the City Clerk
  4. By signing a statement delivered to the City Clerk indicating the elector is indefinitely confined because of age, physical illness or infirmity or is disabled for an indefinite period.
  5. Any elector who is registered and who is hospitalized, may apply for and obtain an official ballot by agent.
  6. By a resident of a nursing home, qualified retirement home, or qualified community-residential facility delivering an absentee application to the city clerk.

A federal postcard registration and absentee ballot request form may be used to apply for an absentee ballot if the form is completed in such manner that the municipal clerk is able to determine that the applicant is an elector of this state and of the ward where the elector seeks to vote.

Absentee Ballot Application (PDF)


For questions or additional information, please call the City Clerk at 262-342-1161.