Internships are a great way to help individuals get an edge in their chosen profession. The City of Burlington internship program could prove to be an essential step in your career goals. In today's fire service, Emergency Medical Service (EMS) has become an integral part of a firefighter's job requirements. The City of Burlington Fire Department offers both fire and EMS experience to our interns. As an intern you will have an opportunity to gain valuable "On-the Job" training while working side-by-side with career and volunteer members of the department.
- High School Diploma.
- Physically able to perform job duties.
- Medical evaluation by M.D.
- Completion of candidate interview process.
- EMT certification or Firefighter I certification is required.
- EMT certification and Firefighter is preferred.
- Opportunity to earn National Registry EMS Certifications
- Opportunity to attain State of Wisconsin Fire Service Training Certifications
- Opportunity for additional Fire and EMS education including: department trainings, classes, seminars, and other professional development courses.
- Opportunity to function as a member with an active Fire and Rescue Department.
- Sleeping quarters for interns.
- Firefighter turnout gear supplied.
- Department approved uniform provided.
After a candidate interview process selected individuals will serve a minimum 2-year internship and be eligible for a variety of schedules:
- A rotating 24/48 shift (24 hours on duty followed by 48 hours off duty).
- A rotating 12/60 shift (12 hours on duty followed by 60 hours off duty)
- A week day, daytime shift is available for night class students
- A rotating weekend shift is available for those with other occupations
As a Firefighter/EMT intern you will experience the camaraderie of working on shift and performing assigned duties as a team. Occasionally, interns will be offered to attend special events. Examples of these events include: community block parties, department events, and countywide trainings. As an intern you will participate in basic training, as well as the department's continuing education program. Additionally, advanced certifications such as Wisconsin Firefighter II, Motor Pump Operator, Wisconsin Fire Inspector and Advanced EMS certifications can be achieved. Our internship is a chance to receive on-the-job training, experience, and life skills to help you succeed in a career in the Fire/EMS service.