Each building in Burlington's downtown plays a unique and vital role in its overall image. The storefront and its window displays; the signage, awnings and canopies; the scale and proportion of the building; as well as the materials and ornamentation are all integral components in the successful design of the building. Property owners interested in improving the visual appeal of their building need to assess the current condition of the entire facade keeping in mind the following questions:
- What impact does a visual improvement have upon the image of my business?
- How can a storefront improvement relate to the entire visual impact of the building?
- How does the building relate to the neighboring buildings?
- How does a storefront improvement relate to the historic upper façade of the building?
- What changes can be made to improve the appearance and integrity of the upper facade of the building?
Property owners must submit the appropriate applications to the Building Inspector at 300 N Pine Street by the monthly deadline date to be placed on the HPC meeting agenda for consideration. Please call 342-1164 with specific questions.