The Board of Review for the City of Burlington, which was scheduled for Thursday, August 18, 2022 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., has been rescheduled for Monday, September 19, 2022 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at 224 E. Jefferson Street, Burlington, Wisconsin.
Please be advised of the following requirements to appear before the Board of Review and procedural requirements if appearing before the Board:
- No person shall be allowed to appear before the Board of Review to testify to the board by telephone or to contest the amount of an assessment of real or personal property if the person has refused a reasonable written request by certified mail of the assessor to view such property.
- After the first meeting of the Board of Review and before the board’s final adjournment no person who is scheduled to appear before the Board of Review may contact or provide information to a member of the board about the person’s objection except at a session of the board.
- No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the board by telephone or contest the amount of assessment unless at least 48 hours before the first meeting of the board or at least 48 hours before the objection is heard, if the objection is allowed under sub. (3)(a) that person provides to the clerk of the Board of Review notice as to whether the person will ask for removal under sub. (6m)(a) and if so which member will be removed and the person’s reasonable estimate of the length of time that the hearing will take.
- When appearing before the board, the person shall specify in writing the person’s estimate of the value of the land and of the improvements that are subject of the person’s objection and specify the information that the person used to arrive at that estimate.
- No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the board by telephone or object to a valuation, if that valuation was made by the assessor or the objector using the income method, unless the person supplies the assessor all of the information about income and expenses, as specified in the manual under Section 73.03(2a) that the assessor requests. The City of Burlington has an ordinance for the confidentiality of information about income and expenses that is provided to the assessor under this paragraph and shall provide exceptions for persons using the information in the discharge of duties imposed by law or of the duties of their office or by order of a court. The information that is provided under this paragraph, unless a court determines that it is inaccurate, is not subject to the right of inspection and copying under Wisconsin Statutes 19.35(1).
- The board shall hear upon oath by telephone all ill or disabled persons who present to the board a letter from a physician, surgeon or osteopath that confirms their illness or disability. No other persons may testify by telephone.
Objection forms for both real estate and personal property are available at City Hall. To schedule an appointment to attend the Board of Review please call 262- 342-1161.
If you are disabled and have accessibility needs or need information interpreted for you please call the City Clerk’s office at 262-342-1161 at least 24 hours prior to the meeting.
City of Burlington
Diahnn Halbach, City Clerk
City of Burlington
Racine and Walworth Counties
Dated: August 17, 2022