Refuse & Recycling
The City of Burlington contracts with John's Disposal for solid waste collection and recycling services. No containers shall be placed at curbside or, if picked up in the alley, at the alley's edge prior to 12 hours of collection day, and containers shall be removed within 12 hours after collection. Refuse or recyclable material that has been scattered by wind, animals or vandals is the responsibility of the resident.
All trash and refuse must be bagged in garbage bags or placed in trash cans next to the curb by 6 a.m. on the morning of your scheduled pickup day. Garbage cans must be no larger than 40 gallons. Certain items require special advance arrangements or instructions for disposal (extra charges may apply).
Disposing of Large/Bulk Items
Large/bulk items will be collected with regular trash collection. There is no need to contact John's Disposal ahead of time to schedule a pick up.
Acceptable Bulk Items
- Furniture, bedding and mattresses
- Carpeting (no wider than 4 feet and rolled)
- Extra garbage bags or garbage in personal cans
- Tires (2 per home per month - 8 per year)
- Construction and demolition materials if they are contained in 32 gallon cans (or less) that weigh less than 60 pounds (no limit on the number of cans).
- Large metal items
- Humidifiers/de-humidifiers, water softeners
Unacceptable Bulk Items
- Yard waste
- Hazardous materials and liquid paint
- Loose bulk construction materials
The City of Burlington provides a biweekly automated service with 95-gallon roll-out carts provided to each residence. Recycling collection occurs on the same week day as your solid waste collection. Carts must be placed on the curb by 6 a.m. for collection. Any recycling materials outside of the cart will not be collected.
What Can Be Recycled?
Recyling is to be co-mingled which includes aluminum cans, steel or bi-metal cans, glass (clear, brown and green), plastics coded Number 1 to 7, cardboard, paper, magazines, newspaper, catalogs, phone books and mail. Additional carts can be purchased through Advanced Disposal for the cost of the cart.
Acceptable Recycling Items
- Tin cans, steel cans, aerosol cans, dried empty paint cans, small scrap metal
- Aluminum cans and clean aluminum foil
- Glass bottles and jars
- #1-7 plastic
- Newspaper, magazines, books, mail, paper
- Brown corrugated cardboard (flattened)
- Gray chipboard (cereal and shoe boxes)
- Brown paper bags
Not Acceptable Recycling Items
- Styrofoam of any kind
- Yard waste
- Household hazardous waste
- Construction materials